Sunday, November 15, 2009

PBL reflection

Money Matters


Reflection by Betty Teresa Ray

In creating this lesson plan for the eighth grade students, I have learned the need of direction in money matters for these students. Having someone visit the classroom and speak to them about finances would be very helpful in guiding them to make wise choices in life. Many of the students would not be able to see the value in saving and investing if someone did not give a lesson to inform them.

As I created the instructions of what I wanted the students to do in order for them to learn about real life, I was amazed at all they needed to do to perform the basic duties. Also, in presenting this type of lesson there would be an incorporation math, technology, and life skills. The students will hopefully see the value of an education when they are selecting a job for this project. I wanted the students to look at the various jobs in which they are interested and see what it pays them and how much education is needed.

2 comments:

  1. As we worked on our PBL activities and proposal, I was thinking about when I was in middle and high school. I could have really benefited from some exploration of different careers that might have caught my interest. The more we expose our students to these types of real-world applications, the more of a chance they will head to college with some idea of which direction they would like to go in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the students who ask, "Why do I need to learn this? When will I ever use it?" I remember what a tough time I had in algebra because I didn't see why memorizing a bunch of formulas was important. My teachers never told me when I might find them useful. I would have loved to have participated in project-based learning!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.